OANDA Forex Forum

A history of transparency

OANDA hosts one of the longest-standing forex forums on the web. Since June 2000, our forum has given forex traders a vehicle for sharing views, airing grievances, and learning from each other. Membership in the OANDA Forex Forum comes with searchable access to diverse topic threads dating back to the very first forex forum posts.

Join in on the discussion with fellow OANDA traders by signing in with your existing fxTrade or fxTrade Practice account. If you don’t already have a forex trading account with OANDA, you can begin by registering for one today.

#1 Aug. 11, 2005 20:35:00

marcusvox2
Member #5299

Iran

quote:
Originally posted by Sympatico:
everybody's supposed to blindly obey our Despot in Chief... you know, the one that doesn't rule by "popular polls/focus groups"?

Who do you mean Symp? Do you mean George W. Bush, twice elected by popular majority, as President of the United States?

Is this the guy you mean -

-

He might be a clown, but at least he is a democratically elected clown.

[ August 11, 2005, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Marrcus ]

“That man must be an intellectual; no ordinary person could be that stupid.” Orwell

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." Twain

#2 Aug. 11, 2005 20:50:00

darkstone1975
Member #4703

Iran

quote:
Originally posted by SCOGGEX:
quote:
Originally posted by Sympatico:
SCCOGGEXX - you go 'round and 'round and 'round. Let me ask you a direct question: should the US have invaded Iraq? Should we still be there?

If you answer 'yes' to those questions, are you justifying it because other regimes have done similar?

If you answer 'no' - yeah, right! - then when will you talk about what YOUR government is doing and stop deflecting?

SNIP....

You tell me, Darkstone, since the US supported Saddam before, should they have always?

Snip..

Of course not.. They shouldn't have been helping him the first bloody place..

#3 Aug. 11, 2005 20:51:00

Symp
Member #4375

Iran

My final sound-bite is this:

Americans elected a spoiled brat, not once, but twice, for a job that requires maturity, sensitivity, intelligence and talent. The only arguable capabilty Bush has is possibly 'talent'.

While he sends off young Americans to kill or be killed for dubious reasons, he is back at his ranch on vacation.

Pathetic, truly.

They say that the poor are the good guys and the rich are the bad guys. Everyone wants to be bad.

#4 Aug. 11, 2005 21:13:00

Binon
Member #5158

Iran

quote:
Originally posted by Marrcus:
quote:
Originally posted by sseanpporter:
Sympatico's right. You can't spread democracy through the barrel of a gun.

I wonder if people ever think about the ideas that pop into their head? Or does it just seem like an idea that *should* be true, so post it?

ssean, I am frankly amazed that a person with the internet at their disposal could make such an ill-informed statement. Have you ever, in your life, learned anything about the history of the world?

Democracy has been frequently imposed on reluctant kings and dictators at the point of a gun, spear or arrow.

I won't go back through centuries for the abundant examples. Let's just look at the most famous examples of recent times.

Germany. Do you think Hitler just had a change of heart and decided to kill himself in his bunker so that German democracy might flourish?

Japan. Japanese militarists, filled with remorse over the Rape of Nanking, decided on their own, and without any violent external persuasion, that democracy was the path to take.

Italy. The Italian f.ascists decide to surrender all ideas of a glorious New Rome and become democratic of their own volition. Nothing to do with thousands of Allied troops armed to the teeth on their doorstep.

And the world's newest democracy, East Timor, was established ... how? Did the pro-Jakarta militias have a spontaneous change of heart and decide that Timorese democracy was a good thing?

ssean, think. The natural political condition of man is slavery. Those in the West who enjoy the most liberal rights in the history of the world should reflect on the great blood price that has been paid for them.

More than nothing : ridiculous!!!

#5 Aug. 11, 2005 21:23:00

marcusvox2
Member #5299

Iran

quote:
Originally posted by 505:
More than nothing : ridiculous!!!

Again with the feather, 505? You are giving me feather rash! If you have arguments that prove me wrong, state them. Please try to be less vague.

[ August 11, 2005, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Marrcus ]

“That man must be an intellectual; no ordinary person could be that stupid.” Orwell

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." Twain

#6 Aug. 11, 2005 21:27:00

Binon
Member #5158

Iran

Hard Nut
Your post : 10/10
I am not sure that an Occidental minded will understand everything... More even American minded... So far
But your contribution is an excellent point to keep the things going up, with ideas and no insult. (strange that on most part of the commentary of our "opponents" there is more insults than ideas/concepts!)

Scoggex have an explanation about everything. He went, as he said, in Iraq and understood everything : arabs, Islam, war....what a brain !!!Perhaps... I doubt about that !
His ideas are more Selection Readers Digest gruel and fast food concepts than balanced thoughts...
Never mind : keep going !

#7 Aug. 11, 2005 21:32:00

Binon
Member #5158

Iran

The natural political condition of man is slavery.

YOU think a bit about what you say !!!!!

#8 Aug. 11, 2005 21:32:00

marcusvox2
Member #5299

Iran

quote:
strange that on most part of the commentary of our "opponents" there is more insults than ideas/concepts!

505, I think that island you are on must be Fantasy Island. I don't think I have seen you post one idea yet, except as loyal poodle to Symp when you say, "Yes, I agree." and then you spend the rest of your time dishing out insults and making one line non-arguments like "Nothing!"

#9 Aug. 11, 2005 21:33:00

Binon
Member #5158

Iran

quote:
Originally posted by Marrcus:
quote:
strange that on most part of the commentary of our "opponents" there is more insults than ideas/concepts!

505, I think that island you are on must be Fantasy Island. I don't think I have seen you post one idea yet, except as loyal poodle to Symp when you say, "Yes, I agree." and then you spend the rest of your time dishing out insults and making one line non-arguments like "Nothing!"
Again ! Exactly what I wrote!
See you Marrcus : I am going to eat a pizza [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#10 Aug. 11, 2005 21:35:00

marcusvox2
Member #5299

Iran

quote:
The natural political condition of man is slavery.

YOU think a bit about what you say !!!!!

I think you do not understand what I posted. I am not saying this is DESIRABLE. I am saying that history shows that unless they fight, human beings will end up every time as slaves under the heel of a despot. Freedom and equality do not just happen. They must be fought for and protected by those who value them.

Board footer

Moderator control